Exploring My Bookshelves is a bookish meme hosted by Addlepates and Book Nerds
Here’s how it works:
- Post a picture of your bookshelf (preferably literal, but e-shelves work too).
- She’ll give you something about your shelf to write about. It might be your favourite cover, your favourite author, your book you most recently bought etc
- Then give the blurb and the cover of the book (and what you thought of it if you’ve read it)
- And finally, go back to her post and send her a link!
Scariest Book On My Shelf this time!!
I know that by ‘scariest’ book, most people mean zombies and ghosts and supernatural stuff. Buuuuuuut:
1. I don’t read horror books or watch horror movies AT ALL. Don’t ask why.
2. There is something that’s much more scary than zombies and monsters : human psychology. Quoting the last line of The Book Thief- ” I’m haunted by humans.”
So, the scariest book on my shelf (its not there currently, I lent it to a friend) is:
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy’s diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media–as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents–the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter–but is he really a killer?
As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?
This book… *melodramatic tears* I’m not going to comment… Just read it, guys.. And don’t blame me for the state of your mind after reading this piece of pure genius. 😉 Oh, and why I find it scary?? You’ll find out when you read it.. *evil laugh*
And btw, this is also another very pretty cover.. I love the way title has the backdrop of cloud/smoke..And then, Ben Affleck… 😛
Finally, I’ve caught up with this meme in time.. Yeah!
XO and ❤