This Sky- Autumn Doughton
Gemma Sayers has spent the last six days rotting in a hotel room, wallowing in a noxious combination of gin, junk food and self-pity. She’s no stranger to disappointment but nothing could have prepared her for the chaos that unfolded when her celebrity boyfriend publicly humiliated her. Now the fairytale is officially over and Gemma is determined to put the past behind her and strike out to find a new dream. Just a few teeny-tiny details to work out: she’s currently broke, homeless and unemployed.
Landon Young has his own worries. Surfer by day and bartender by night, he doesn’t have the interest or the time to be anyone’s happily-ever-after. Weighed down by the memory of what happened two years ago, Landon can barely keep his head above water.
This Sky is the thoughtful and often funny story about broken trust, an unexpected love and the hopes we keep sewn in the linings of our pockets.
Few things I love about Autumn Doughton:
* Her name. So awesome!
* Her writing style. Its like poetry rains down every night on the pages where she writes down her stories.
* Her song references. Whether she is comparing life to a Katy Perry song or bitching about Justin Bieber- the references are always cool and relevant.
I think by now it is pretty obvious that I’m a really big fan of Autumn’s. Thank you Autumn for teaching me that awkward conversations are not always hopeless. Thank you for teaching me that ANYTHING can be compared to absolutely everything, as long as you let your imagination run wild. Salute to your beautiful imagination, for example, the part where you compare the sunlight streaming through a car window to the light coming “in a kaleidoscope of burning whites, oranges and yellows.” Yes friends, this is exactly why I love her books. I knew poetry can be prose, but I learnt today that prose can be poetry too.
Autumn Doughton, I want to be you when I grow up. ❤ 😛
1. Demons- Imagine Dragons (Landon’s POV)
2. I knew you were trouble- Taylor Swift (Gemma to Ren)
3. Bartender- Lady Antebellum (Maybe not perfect, but Gemma DID want to forget Ren by getting a rebound. Plus, the fact that Landon was the bartender kind of helps)
4. Enchanted- Taylor Swift (Every meet cute needs this song)
5. Kiss me- Ed sheeran (Pretty obvious)
6. Secrets- One republic (When Landon reveals his secrets)
7. Clarity- Zedd ft. foxes (When Gemma realises that she loves Landon)
8. Crazier- Taylor Swift (It might seem like a Taylor Swift album threw up in this playlist, but this song gives the perfect fuzzy feeling for the ending)
People who like the kind of books I read and people who like poetry will probably love this book.